Wondering what the consequences of long-term exposure to black mold are? Molds are part of the kingdom fungi. These are rootless as well as shoot fewer plants. They cannot be called true plants because they lack many plantlike features. They do have the main body but it does not resemble plants. However, they are saprotrophic in nature. They decompose dead organic matter. Some of the fungi are autotrophs and make their own food through photosynthesis like plants. But some derive their food from the host.

Consequences of Long-Term Exposure to Black Mold

There are types of fungi, but molds are different. Mods that grow indoors are saprotrophic in nature. But the molds like black, orange and white mold can be dangerous for your health. The molds release some chemicals which can disturb your body’s mechanism and cause problems. But it is not necessary that all molds will cause diseases.

Molds do have a pungent smell and cause displeasure. After a long and tiring day, if you catch a sight of the unpleasant mold in your house, you will feel discomfort. So is the case if you want to make an impression in front of your guests. Therefore, your home is not the home for mold. There are some preventions you can take to keep your home clean from all the mold mess. These molds are not only insightful for your eyes but can also cause health problems. The molds reproduce and multiply through spores. If you inhale more than the safe level of spores, you can fall prey to a number of disorders. So, making your house mold-free should be one of your priorities.

Consequences of Long-Term Exposure to Black Mold

Black Mold

Black mold is of concern in almost every house. The most common mold is black mold. Though this is no specific mold like black mold because many types of mold which appear to be black in color. However, Stachybotrys atra is a common mold that occurs indoors. This mold is also saprotrophic in nature.  But it releases spores, which can cause respiratory symptoms in our body.

People consider black mold very dangerous, but it is not true. Black mold does release mycotoxins but almost all other types of mold do the same. With the inhalation of spores, allergy is induced. These spores can be from any type of mold. So you have to get rid of the mold regardless of their color. Every mold is dangerous in an equal term.

Effective services: Mold Remediation, Dry Fog System, Home Disenfection, Daycare Disenfection, and Mold Testing.

The appearance of Mold in the House

Molds tend to grow in damp places. Moisture plays a key role in their growth and survival. The major reason mols are pesky to remove is that the spores can remain dormant for a longer time span. The dormant spores do not require nutrients and can stay in the state of rest. These spores can enter into your house through the air, your clothes and your pets.

The spores are so small that you don’t notice them at all. They can be carried into your home with your jacket or your cat. You cannot really stop the entry of spores into your home, but you can inhibit their growth and germination. The major spots for mold growth are places where there is no ventilation of like the end of your closet and drawer. A little moisture in these spots and there is a rapid growth of molds.

Long-term Effects of Black Mold

People consider black mold a dangerous and toxic entity, but this is not entirely true. Black mold is the same as any other house mold. They can differ in color but has the same effects on our health. The spores of these molds can cause skin allergies and irritation in the eyes. Watery eyes can also lead to other complications of eyes. These spores while passing through our respiratory tract cause constriction in our bronchioles. It leads to difficulty in breathing and hypoxia. Also, the immune reactions to these foreign entities can cause inflammation in different parts of our body. Here are some of the dangers caused by inhalation of spores:

Bronchitis

Bronchitis is a lower respiratory disorder caused due to the constriction of bronchioles. It can lead to a shortage of breath and severe complications. When the spores of mold enter our respiratory system, our body’s defense mechanism activates. It caused constriction of the pathway so that the white cells can fight off the foreign entities.

But these spores release chemicals that cause inflammation pathways, thus the air finds a narrow passage to pass through. It is acute in the beginning but if the mold spores are inhaled for the long-term this can progress to a serious stage. Chronic bronchitis is not easy to cure and the patient suffers anxiety, pain, and congestion. So it is advised to remove the mold as soon as possible or it may prove to be fatal for your health.

Asthma

It is also a respiratory disease-related to the constriction of bronchioles. It is a severe disorder and can even lead to the death of the patient. Black mold spores are not really a cause of asthma. But there is a chance if these spores are inhaled for a long span of time. Mold spores induce irritation in the tract and produce infection and pus. These are the starting steps of asthma as well as bronchitis.

Related blogs: Mold Effects on Human Health, Why do I need Mold Testing in my Property?, and What is the IICRC?.

However, the mold ingested through the digestive tract has no role in the onset of asthma. But that can cause other disorders and blight. Avoid mold spores as much as you can. Even inhalation of a few mold spores can cause upper respiratory infection and runny or blocked nose. Antihistamines and nasal sprays are recommended in case of spores inhalation, but these are not a cure. Long-term mold spore inhalation can lead to asthma and even death of the patient.

Lung Cancer

Lung cancer is basically a disease caused by a mutation in genes. Some people consider that black mold can lead to lung cancer. But there is no research to date which shows that mold spores can cause lung cancer. However, there are some external factors that can lead to lung cancer and inhalation of mold spores can boost up the process.

But mold spores themselves cannot induce lung cancer in our body. Ultraviolet radiation can cause changes in the DNA of cells. Aflatoxins produced by other types of fungi can induce cancer of the lungs. But mold, on the other hand, produce mycotoxins, not aflatoxins. So house mold cannot cause lung cancer but help other factors to induce it. Therefore, getting rid of the mold is necessary from your home. Keep your house clean and live a healthy life!

Have more questions about the consequences of long-term exposure to black mold? Contact Puricleanse today for a free consultation!